Thursday, January 20, 2011

Happy Cat-i-versary

So far January is giving me lots to celebrate.  It was four years ago today that I brought home my sweet Maxie boy, the cat who changed my life.  I can't imagine my life or my house without him...the cat who thinks he's a puma, the cat who chases balls and chats with birds, the cat who still runs to the door to see me when I come home from a long day's work.   

We went for a check up last week at the vet and he weighs 17.7 lbs.  Who's mama's linebacker kitty?


Meanwhile, the garden I've been volunteering at in the city celebrated its one year anniversary this weekend. Every time I go up there I learn (and often get to cook) something new.  Collard greens?  Purple bok choy?  Fava bean leaves?  Well, why not!


I was on the potato team that built these groovy potato towers.  I am dying to try this at home!  Dad, do you have any chicken wire in the garage?  In the chicken wire hoops we layered manuer, compost, whole potatoes, and straw. 


I filled that wheelbarrow up with compost and then drove it up to the street level for potato action.  You should have seen me!  Who's a suburban girl now?


In honor of Dr. King, there was a great gathering and two greenhouses were built; you can see one in progress off to the right.


Little seedlings in the making.


I know we're getting down and dirty, but there's no need to look like a bum!  I finished knitting this super soft slouchy hat just in time for the weekend.  Years ago, I bought those shell buttons at a street market in Amsterdam.  They finally have a good home.


And finally, we are approaching the one year anniversary of the one and only Miz Liz Lemon!
Guess what?  


Big news:


What winter blues?


 Ginger soda with my own homegrown meyer lemons.  Ginger cat for company.  Who could ask for more?


It's things like this that make me feel alive.

3 comments:

  1. awesome! i love every bit of this!! i think i'm going to try my potatoes like this come spring. the burlap sacks were not as successful as i'd hoped. and yay for lemons! wish i could come over and share some with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently when the leaves start to wilt you just cut open the chicken wire and your harvest spills out with the dirt. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lemons. Your photos are so pretty. I think I've hauled over 2,000 lemons this month alone! Sometimes, I actually hate to give them away. They're so fragrant and bright. As if I'll never find another tree.

    ReplyDelete