Wednesday, March 24, 2010

It's the little things

Sometimes, it's the little things I like best.

It's a fried egg and challah toast on Sunday mornings.

It's noticing it's still light at 7:30.

It's the students who make me laugh in the middle of lessons.

It's the hot bath before bed.

It's the lunch beer or a kir with dinner, just because.




It's how I discovered the seeds I planted for one reason (not to mention any names, beets)...





...are actually more desirable for another reason entirely (the tops--delicious!).


It's finding pieces of your parents in yourself. I know many may cringe at this idea, but for anyone who's had a meal at my parents' table will know why I smile instead. Saying to myself "there's nothing to eat" and knowing (as my folks did) to look in the cupboards and make something up. I take great comfort in understanding where I came from


especially when I get to stop and sit and savor something like this.
Orzo with homemade tomato sauce, shallot, sausage, and sauteed beet greens. Yum.

2 comments:

  1. Right, yeah. I got some skills from our parents, too. Except my inherited skill is making a wicked gin and tonic, and stirring it with my index finger. Not quite the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is TOTALLY the little things that make the days better, that's for damn sure. and as for inheriting skills from your parents- that is pretty much always a good thing- especially when it leads to a dinner that's as awesome as yours!

    ReplyDelete