Sunday, June 3, 2012

Gardening: The Windowsill Salad Bowl

The Problem: So, don't hate me, fellow health-nuts, but I have a problem with lettuce.  Lettuce always has to be difficult.  I don't like rudeness in my students and I certainly don't like it in my food.  I mean, I like chowing down on delicious, organic green salad with vinaigrette as much as the next guy, but for a single diner, lettuce is a real pain.  I buy a head of lettuce or bag of prewashed greens and after one handful on a sandwich, it rots in the fridge.  Then there was that horrible incident last year when I tried to grow it and a neighborhood critter cleaned me out in one evening.  And yet, I know that I should eat more greens.


The Solution: Presenting the charming and delightful windowsill salad bowl!  


  


You will love this.  I want one for every window in my place.  I took a medium-sized planting bowl and filled it with lettuces and herbs that will keep growing after I cut them.  I planted sweet Italian basil, Napa cabbage, wasabi arugula, and oak leaf lettuce.  Conveniently perched on a chair in my kitchen, where it gets some direct light and some indirect.  Seems happy so far!




If I want a few leaves of lettuce for my sandwich, it's done.  Fresh basil for caprese salad?  Done.




Best of all, the windowsill salad bowl is safe from neighborhood pests.  Now that I know I can grow herbs and veggies indoors, I will definitely be experimenting more!  


Now, who's hungry for lunch?


1 comment:

  1. ME!!! Rhee has also had success growing super-delicious lettuce on our deck. I think she's got some lemon basil in the works. Nice to see the city farmers succeeding!

    ReplyDelete