Monday, June 11, 2012

Seeing red

Strawberry season is here and I cannot control myself.






Look at me, sipping a kir royale adorned with strawberry slices at 3:00 in the afternoon for no reason whatsoever.



     
   















Oh, wait, there is a reason - summer vacation!


I wait for the once-a-year red berry madness and then gorge out of my mind.  I've been putting them in everything, including a spinach salad with Indian-spiced walnuts and plum vinaigrette that I made for a dinner party, and also in some fabulous mixed-berry buttermilk scones that were devoured before I could photograph them.



Um, yes please.



So of course I had to make strawberry jam, this time with a little help from my cousins Matt and Madhuri.









           







Tried a different recipe than the usual freezer jam, adding some lemon zest and a splash of creme de casis, just for kicks.  I highly recommend this recipe.  Check it out:





Naturally, there was also homemade strawberry ice cream.
I mean, it seemed like the thing to do.




Wish I could figure out how they do the strawberry balsamic ice cream at Bi Rite, but this was good too!
Whew, earned our treat! 







2 comments:

  1. Yum! Glad to see you're "back in the saddle" otherwise known as your kitchen and garden! Happy vaca....

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! i was just thinking this morning that i need to get on some strawberries asap! (freddie keeps stealing them from my garden) also, i need more photos of matt cooking :)

    ReplyDelete