Monday, January 4, 2010

After school special

I rarely bring grading home --as a matter of principle-- but as it was the first day back after a 2 week hiatus, a stack of Macbeth essays somehow ended up in my school bag. I had a feeling that there was only one thing that would satisfy me--my mom's famous after school snack combination of popcorn and orange juice. I'm talking popcorn made over the stove with a little oil in a farberware saucepan. Waiting waiting waiting till that puh puh PUH puh PUH as kernels ricocheted off the saucepan lid, soft and violent all at once, like watching time-elapsed photos of a dandelion going to seed. Then silence. And a little salt. Maybe paprika. Or Parmesan cheese.


I read once that the area of the brain that processes
memory is right next to the part that receives signals from the olfactory gland--so I should not be at all surprised that the warm, toasty hot oil and popcorn smell flashed me back to doing homework at my parent's dining room table. And then again a flash to college, to writing cross legged at the coffee table and day dreaming out the bay window. Then it all flashes to now, to me with a heap of attempts at analysis and rubrics, scooping handfuls of delicate salted puffs into my mouth and scanning sheets of delicate young words. And somehow, it's not quite so tedious.

No comments:

Post a Comment