Monday, January 11, 2010

Garden Spotlight: Violas!


It is official--I am totally obsessed with my garden. There are days when it's all I can think about. I know which of my colleagues will leave heirloom tomato seedlings in the staff room and I can find every well groomed garden in the neighborhood with my eyes closed. Let's be honest here. A huge reason I started this blog was to have an outlet for babbling on about container gardening, which I am here to tell you is not only possible but righteous.

Case in point--Violas. Edible in the summer, flash of color in the winter. It's a muddy gray winter and I smile every time I glance outside because my violas are rocking the heck out of my balcony with their little purple faces:

Do not adjust the color on your monitors

Hey, lovelies. Come here often?

But this particular viola is the biggest thrill of all...because I planted this little guy last winter. 2009. That's right. The season came and went and I thought it had died. And now, to my great delight, it's back. I stood on my balcony in bathrobe and pajamas like some deranged suburban housewife gawking at the little gem for what must have been 20 minutes. My gloomy gray winter existence came to a screeching halt--that sunny little face peering up at me from the chive planter. Today I looked again, and there they were, sprouts where all the original violas were planted.

Life, apparently, will always find a way to go on.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely! I did not know you can eat violas; I will have to try that in summer.

    I was excited that my violas spread beyond their containers last year, and appeared though a crack in the concrete in my back yard!

    A photo of my violas

    -Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, aren't they darling! Bright and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose--so lovely! You can pinch off the flower and jazz up a green salad.

    ReplyDelete