Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mid Winter Bliss

 Signs of a successful mid-winter break?



Lunch beer as much as I please.  Look at that, you can see the bubbles in the picture--can you stand it?  Eating lunch, period; now that's a luxury.  And on break I can take the careful time necessary for something really savory and fantastic like a burger on green onion focaccia with spicy beans on the side (because when you're craving a burger there is nothing--NOTHING--else in this world that will satisfy).  I don't have a barbecue to cook burgers like my dad, but I must say that searing hot iron and salt does nicely.  That's my grandmother's cast iron grill pan that my father passed down to me.  And as many condiments as I want.  Three different mustards in my fridge and I'll use them all if I want, thank you.






I'll take small victories this year.













Things I can hold, things I can make, things I can change.
I can make lunch.  I can sit down and enjoy it.  I can call my mom while I'm eating.  I can watch foot traffic outside.  I can think about my plans for the day, for the year, for the rest of my life. 

So much in this world is out of my control.  As far as I know, lunch is still mine 


(at least when I'm on vacation).













1 comment:

  1. yes! yes for lunch (and life) on your own terms! i LOVE that photo of the beans- so pretty.

    ReplyDelete