Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sweet Nothings

There was one holiday season back in the late 80's when my sister desperately wanted a Salad Shooter, possibly because the commercial jingle was so catchy.  Of course, my father is the king of appliances and once bought a second blender at Costco after an enthusiastic demonstration--true story.  I am not judging either of them.  Rather, I am giving in and accepting my genetic predisposition for culinary gadgets, an admission that clearly justifies the purchase of my new toy.   Behold:




I swear I didn't pose him like that.




 And now, let's go in for the closeup.














Ah ha ha ha ha ha!  I know, right?  I've wanted one for years and now it's mine--ALL MINE!  I cannot wait to dive in and try my hand at delicious homemade frozen treats.  I thought I'd start with this:



Chocolate sorbet from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa At Home (my favorite cookbook of all time, by the way).


 

You just need a little of this...San Francisco's own Ghirardelli cocoa, cinnamon, salt and vanilla...


 ...and a little of that...wait, what is that?



 Turns out the secret ingredient is two shots of brewed espresso.  The friendly, tattooed folks at Dana Street Roasting Co made mine for me!



 Sorbet mixture and ice cream machine core are chilling overnight.  Stay tuned for the taste test tomorrow!  And if you're in driving distance of my house, you may want to stop by and taste for yourself.

4 comments:

  1. I SO TOTALLY DID WANT A SALAD SHOOTER! I can't believe you found the exact commercial, too! It should be noted that I probably wasn't older than about 9 when I wanted one. I don't even know if I ate salads then.

    Snaps on the sorbet, sounds muy rico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum! my mom copied that recipe for me, but i still haven't tried it. i LOVE my ice cream maker, can't wait to see what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, matt and i totally wanted a salad shooter (because of the commercial, obviously)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I own that cookbook too. I'll have to dust off the old bookshelf. Neat blog...I'll be reading more. clicked on over from Free farm stand. :)

    ReplyDelete