Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Humbled.



This is the best magnet ever.  Saucy redhead retro girl + garden themed = love.  This already has me scheming for my summer garden.  If only summer would hurry up and get here.  I'm talking to you, March.  Enough already.  We get it--you were going for dark and broody, which I guess would work if I was out on the moors in some irritating mid-century novel, but I don't care for the Bronte sisters nor do I care for you.  Now, let's make with the sunshine!

Chop chop!


Look at me, I'm talking to a month.  I may have lost it.



 But in the spirit of not losing my mind, and since I'm stuck inside, I might as well whip up something tasty.  I loved this.  I'm so into things that go with rice right now.  Dinner is jasmine rice with turmeric and peas and fried tofu (I finally got it to taste like it does in Chinese restaurants!  Secret ingredient: corn starch).  Oh, how good would broccoli be with this?  Yum.  The greens are fresh baby joi choy leaves, so small and tender they didn't need cooking.  The stupid neighborhood deer came and nearly cleaned me out.  All my beautiful little bok choy plants cropped clean off.  So I guess it's now or never.  They're not really full grown but I better taste them now while I can.


Remind me to plant heaps of hot peppers which the deer do not like.



Speaking of awesome, check out the ceramic pot I found at Goodwill for $1.50!  Thanks, Mom, for the little succulents to go in it!  I think I may finally be getting the hang of succulents.  Previously, jade was the only succulent that did well for me.  Now I have a variety going.  Succulents keep me humble.  I realize I can't fuss over them too much and I can't always win.  I do like the idea that they can grow anywhere and be easily shared with friends.  This pair makes me smile.



Other things that make me smile?  Oh, I've got dozens.

3 comments:

  1. You blog has been ROCKIN' lately! Your home must smell amazing as you whip up all this delicious. To say nothing of your work at work. I dare say, it's nice to see you get your groove back. Work it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting on my blog...what would I do without you? I always enjoy reading yours...and that picture of Max--adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pesky deer ! We put wire mesh over our strawberry plant to keep the birds out of it (see profile pic). I may have told you this before but someone once told me human hair around the outside of your garden will keep deer and rabbits out of it. Never tried it myself.
    love,
    Roger and Karen

    ReplyDelete