Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ode to Salt

Pablo Neruda wrote that in salt, "we taste infinitude."  I wholeheartedly agree.  Leave it to a Chilean poet to come up with such a sexy way to say that salt is the missing link.  The tiniest pinch makes even the simplest of foods taste right.  This is the reason I never liked candy.  Sugary sweets have no fireworks--just a mild rah with no sis-boom-bah.  It's not that I don't like dessert; it's that I don't like tasting sweet without substance or depth, without salt.  Consider the following minglings of sweet and salt.  Ponder, if you will: Oatmeal cookies.  Green apples with a chunk of cheddar.  Anything involving almond pastry or peanut butter.  Even watermelon slices taste better with a little sprinkle.

Can't decide if you feel salty or sweet?  Oh, who we fooling--join me when I stand and say I refuse to choose!  To emphasize, how about dark chocolate-covered pretzels, chopped up and ready to go in the first batch of homemade frozen yogurt!


Voila!  Allow me to introduce the fabulously smooth treat that spoiled my dinner.  Chocolate fro-yo with sea salt and chocolate covered pretzel chunks.  Oh yeah, it's over.  I surrender.  All resistance is futile. 


Hey, yogurt has calcium!  I'm just looking out for my, er, bone structure.  Yeah, that's the one.

3 comments:

  1. Matthew's comment: What? no nuts?
    Mine: If I ever leave Matthew, I'm coming to live with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I think I will try nuts instead of pretzels! Because there will most certainly be a 'next time.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my god, this is amazing! must try (of course, when it's not too cold for ice cream!)

    ReplyDelete