Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sufficient Grounds

I work with a Trinidadian woman who has the most amazing gift with plants.  Her squash are the biggest, her chilies the spiciest, and I'm pretty sure she was responsible for the monstrous heirloom tomato that went on this pizza.  One of her secrets?  She mixes coffee grounds in with her soil.  Apparently my Grandpa Sid did the same thing in the Bronx.  The way I see it?  Two garden experts close to my heart can't be wrong.  I had to try it immediately!

The folks at Dana Street generously offered to keep my bucket under their counter for a day and fill it up for me.  I could barely carry it home. And the smell--fantastic!


I added a scoop here and a sprinkle there, but the first real experiment with the coffee method will be with these joi choy plants.  Joi choy is some sort of delicious bok choy hybrid.  This flat came from another coworker, the same one who introduced me to mizuna, amongst other garden goodies.


Oh, I have big plans for this.  Let's just say it involves potsticker soup with lots of ginger!


I'm also trying the coffee grounds with some ornamental Thai chili plants.


So cute.  So innocent.  A little early for chilies but they can keep each other company.


I'm so pleased I've been able to keep up a diverse container garden in a new environment and in a season that's not always the most gentle.  In the last 6 months, I've grown and learned to cook plants I didn't even know existed.  Everything looks great!  Look at Miz Liz Lemon go back there!



Spring visitors always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment