Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Garden spotlight: Mizuna

You guys, can we talk about Mizuna, my new obsession?

Hello gorgeous! Where've you been all my life?


This fall I was lucky enough to be treated to a flat of mizuna seedlings by a fellow garden enthusiast. Now y'all know I don't say no to free plants or free produce. As it turns out, Mizuna is a delicious Japanese leafy green that looks like arugula but tastes sweet and newly green like fresh snap peas. I've tried it cooked in soup but the best way seems to be eating it fresh in a light salad.


Salad is one of those things I have a love-hate relationship with. I mean I love it and enjoy it while I am chowing on delicate greens in equally delicate vinaigrette, but for a single cook, buying lettuce is really stupid. It rots before I remember it's in the crisper drawer and that's the end of that. But oh, what luxury to have a salad green growing two feet from my kitchen! And the more you cut it the more it grows, so all the better!


Ready for its close-up. A perfectly beautiful dinner!



A little vino? Well, if you insist!



Balcony garden omelet--arugula, roasted peppers, goat cheese, & parmesan...
mizuna dressed in meyer lemon juice, olive oil, kosher salt & black pepper.

Won't you join me? More wine? Well, maybe a little...

2 comments:

  1. yum! also, re: salad for one. i always thought they were dumb but it turns out that salad spinners are amazing for keeping greens fresh. really.

    ReplyDelete