Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Garden update: The Great Arugula Tragedy

It is with heavy heart I report that I lost my arugula. The bed flooded in a recent rain storm and the plants were doomed. (This may have been due to the fact that a certain blogger forgot to unplug the container's drainage holes prior to planting). Goodbye you peppery delicious little greens! O how you made me smile and salivate, you zesty garden treat!


I just can't take it. It's too painful. Give me a minute...sniff...sniff...

Warning! Certain images contain plant destruction and may not be suitable for fans of delicious arugula. You may be traumatized as I was. Just warning you.


Oh the humanity!


What's a gardener to do? Remember when those first little sprouts appeared last fall?


Well readers, you know what this means. I mean if this was a real literary tragedy the reader would experience a catharsis in the face of loss, and so thus here is mine: It would be a disservice to the memory of arugula, the sassiest plant on my balcony, to not buck up and plant more. And so, with this taste of spring outside and little seedlings in my mind, I get out the seeds and start again. Only this time, I'm not taking chances with drains.

No comments:

Post a Comment