Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Garden Spotlight: Baby Beets


Gardening types told me that you are supposed to thin beet plants by yanking some to make room for others to grow. I have a problem doing this. I know I'm supposed to and that my beets won't be fully formed otherwise. But I implore you, how could I pull one of the most beautiful things in my garden?


Even just for ornamental beauty, they bring color and texture to the garden.
The color on these, you have no idea...

So I found a delicious solution--my folks came over for dinner and we made orzo with sausage, olive oil, and sauteed greens. It was originally going to be all Swiss chard from the farmer's market, but we sauteed delicate little beet leaves too from plants that had been pulled. Yum!


Max gets in on the action--kitty approved! He didn't eat any though.


So maybe the beet itself is a bonus! I love this idea that different parts of the plant are good for different things. At this point I'm not sure I care if mine ever fully mature, now that I know what to do with the leaves.






1 comment: